Skip to main content

The Most Interesting Ad in the World?

The Most Interesting Man in the World is an advertising campaign for Dos Equis beer, produced by the marketing firm Euro RSCG for Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma Brewery, according to Wikipedia.

The ads feature Jonathan Goldsmith as "the world's most interesting man" and are narrated by Frontline's Will Lyman. Goldsmith has stated that his friend, actor Fernando Lamas -- an Argentine-born actor and director, and the father of actor Lorenzo Lamas -- was an inspiration for the character.

The advertisements first began appearing in the United States in 2006. They beat the crap out of the Energizer Bunny, I have to say.

I have enjoyed these commercials a lot, and I will actually stop fast-forwarding through them, as is my usual tendency when the commercials pop up. Ever since I watched the first one--I will say that although Dos Equis isn't my preferred brand, I will ask the bartender for one from time to time. when I drink beer, I will go for a Dos Equis, if the bar I am in serves it bottled.






"The most interesting thing about the man who plays the Most Interesting Man in the World, in those TV ads for Dos Equis beer, is that he is interesting, too, perhaps even superlatively so," writes the New Yorker.

At museums, he’s allowed to touch the art. . . . His blood smells like cologne. . . . Sharks have a week dedicated to him. . . . He once had an awkward moment, just to see how it feels. . . . The police often question him, just because they find him interesting. . . . [As for memory foam mattresses].There are some things mattresses shouldn't remember...

"These lines are recited gravely by the narrator of “Frontline” over faux-grainy clips of our Man cliff-diving in Acapulco, or splashing down in a space capsule, or lying in a hospital bed stitching up a wound on his own shoulder while surgeons and nurses stand around idly, chuckling at his jokes," the New Yorker writes.

"Goldsmith is not this man. Still, he has more in common with him than you do. A montage of highlights from the real life of Jonathan Goldsmith might include (had there been cameras present) footage of him rescuing a stranded climber on Mt. Whitney, saving a drowning girl in Malibu, sailing the high seas with his friend Fernando Lamas (the inspiration for his Interesting persona and, according to Goldsmith, “the greatest swordsman who ever lived in Hollywood”), and starting a successful network marketing business (“I was a hustler, a very good hustler”), which, for a while, anyway, enabled him to flee Hollywood for an estate in the Sierras. Among the outtakes might be glimpses of his stint as a waterless-car-wash entrepreneur. “I love the old philosophers,” he said. “I have a large library. I am not a die-hard sports fan. I love to cut wood.”

Read more: Dos Equis’ Most Interesting Man in the World : The New Yorker

Also:





Comments

  1. wow, great, I was wondering how to cure acne naturally. and found your site by google, learned a lot, now i’m a bit clear. I’ve bookmark your site and also add rss. keep us updated.
    what is an organic mattress

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    how to fix a firm mattress

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl in the Blue Mustang

MSNBC hides crime-scene photo in plain sight. Just watched a repeat of The Girl in the Blue Mustang , on MSNBC's Dateline . I am addicted to those shows: Dateline ID , 48 Hours , On the Case With Paula Zahn . It is amazing how popular this genre has become; you can find a murder docudrama on 24/7 these days thanks to all the channels available on cable. I am old enough to remember when 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13 were it – and 13 rarely.

John Pappa—Life Behind Bars For A Job Well Done

UPDATED: There are a million stories in the naked city, and in the mob, too. Take the case of John Pappa —books and films could be made about this guy, and perhaps one day will. In May 1999 John Pappa was convicted of racketeering, drug dealing and four murders, including the 12th and final killing of the Colombo family war , which took three years to run its bloody course. The Colombos have probably had more wars than any other family in the Mafia—they have also produced some of the most legendary “gangstars” of our age, including Greg Scarpa and Wild Bill Cutolo . John Pappa, looking as innocent as a puppy dog. Pappa was arrested during a wedding rehearsal in 1997. That’s how it is done: you put a bullet in his head, then hug and kiss his mother at the funeral, and maybe you are invited to join the victim’s brother’s bridal party. An excited team of cops and FBI agents nabbed the mobster at a church on Staten Island. Pappa, 22 at the time, was chased into St. Ann's Ch

Tom Selleck's 'Fitz Special' Brings Reality to Blue Bloods

PLEASE READ FIRST READER'S COMMENT BELOW FOR IMPORTANT CORRECTION TO THIS POST [THANK YOU, ANONYMOUS] Is it me or does Tom Selleck 's character Frank Reagan (NYC's fictional Police Commissioner) in Blue Bloods remind you of the character A.J. Cooper, which he played on the now-cancelled but former hit show Las Vegas ? Those of you who watched both shows will notice that both character's are wearing the same gun, which I thought was a 1911, but now, after watching an episode of Blue Bloods where it is specifically mentioned, I understand it is called a Fitz Special. (And I have been reading that he may have even worn the same pistol in Magnum P.I. ; Selleck is a gun collector, I bet it is his own piece.) The website wethearmed.com , a weapons-enthusiast site, offers some interesting insight into Selleck's understanding of guns, and the Fitz Special in particular. I quote: "Anyways, as you are all aware I am sure Tom is a real gun guy.  I was watching an epis